Hi. I am currently seeking advice on dom...

Asked by Sheheen on 04-07-2023 11:05:02
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi. I am currently seeking advice on domestic pet law. I would like to find out the law regarding stray pets and the legal owners of such pets. My family has taken in 2 stray dogs a number of years ago. These were family dogs initially. These dogs were under the financial support from my mother initially but have been mainly under my financial support for the past 9 years. At some point in time, we had to move to another property that did not allow dogs, but the dogs were kept by the family. I have since moved from the house in 2020 and have asked for the dogs to be taken care of by me since my mother was unable to provide finances, transport and other needs for the dogs. She has agreed for me to take care of the dogs but now wants them back. I don't believe it is in the best interest of the dog as the family is currently incapable of taking care of them in my opinion. My mothers name was on the vaccination records for the dogs up until last year.The dogs have been microchipped by me as advised by close friends in the case of theft.

Who is the legal owner of the dogs in this case?If you are not the correct type of lawyer to deal with such, please point me in the right direction.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.