My ex husband and I were married in comm...

Asked by Dasilver Gwangwa on 01-08-2023 12:33:10
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

My ex-husband and I were married in common law, lobola paid in 2010. We lived together prior to the lobola negotiations happening. I came into the relationship owning a car Hyuandai Getz, we later traded it in and bought an I20. In 2015 we traded the i20 for a Golf 7. The car is registered under my Ex-husband's name, and he has been paying the installments since then. He bought the car for me, as a gift for giving birth to our younger daughter who was born in 23 June 2015. I have been the sole driver of the car since 2015 to date, i have been paying for the insurance, maintenance and servicing of the vehicle since 2015. We separated and he moved (no formal divorce) out of our house in 2016 and he continued to pay for the vehicle. Last month, i told him plans to relocate,(and to sell the house, of which he is expecting proceeds from the sale) and told me he will be coming to get HIS car. My relocation is not confirmed, and he has sent me communication to buy a car as he will be coming to collect his. I just want to find out if he is indeed entitled to the car?  Even though it was a gift given during our marriage, he continued to pay for the car to date, i have maintained and insured the car since 2015. Does he have a right to the vehicle?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.