Hi. I was retrenched during Lockdown and...

Asked by CeliweM on 19-11-2020 13:57:08
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi.  I was retrenched during Lockdown and requested relief from my landord. I was given 1 month relief. I have not been able to pay rent in full for 3 months, but I have been paying like 70%. I have arrears of R8000 and I am now paying rent in full. The landlord wants the whole R8000 in full and I cannot afford it. I can make an arrangement by they refuse. Now my meter box has been switched off and I cannot buy electricity, meanwhile, the month's rent has been paid. Please assist.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 23-11-2020 11:29:31

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

What the landlord has done (switching off your electricity) is illegal and you are entitled to go to the magistrates court and apply for an urgent application to have the electricity turned on again! It is called a spoliation order.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.