If the tenant owes the company money, mo...

Asked by Cynthia on 04-10-2023 10:41:16
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

If the tenant owes the company money, more than R20,000, do i go to magistrate court to sue them for the money?

do I need an attorney? who will be representing in court if it's for the company

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 06-10-2023 18:17:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

The maximum jurisdiction for the small claims court is R20,000, but there are many advantages of suing in the small claims court. So if you can go there, I would advise that. 

Otherwise, yes, the magistrates court. 

If you want further assistance regarding how you would claim in the small claims court, please let me know.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.