Good afternoonPlease be so kind as to ad...

Asked by Chrissie on 29-10-2023 13:08:26
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good afternoon

Please be so kind as to advise . My partner and i have been living together for the past 9 years 

We have been living in our current house for 2 years and the rental contract is in both our names.

We had several discussions over the past month and he said that we are renewing the contract and not moving. I paid the renewal fees and the new contract was drafted. When i send it to him ( he is working away from home ) he now refuses to sign. I have been pleading and begging and asking to phone me  but he is ignoring me . He has done this a lot on several issues throughout the years. I  requested for the contract to be put on my name but agency said sorry income not enough. He is well aware of this . I havent been working as i looked after my father until his death recently. I showed the agency that i have some savings that will be able to pay the rent but not acceptable.

Is there anything that i can do in terms of common law as he has been looking after me and cant just let us be evicted. He is acting very strange. He just doesnt care. My health has deteriorated so much due to stress. 

I am a nervous wreck as i have a child as well and need to keep things stable. The only way to have a place to live is if it is im both our names. 

I am desperate for advise as i have begging and pleading the past week with no success and have no choice but to speak to a lawyer. It wont help to speak to someone he knows in Pongola where he is working.  The agency wants a signed contract by tomorrow for renewal. 

Kind regards


082 4212 983

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.