Good day SirMadam,My name is Mandisa Mas...

Asked by Mandisa Masuku on 12-04-2023 13:50:47
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day Sir/Madam,

My name is Mandisa Masuku, I am enquiring on behalf of my brother Sphelele Malinga who was arrested August 2019 for a crime of shooting a police officer off duty. The case has moved from court to court and he has also been transferred a couple of times now, each time he goes to court it's either it will be a remand or nothing will be communicated or certain witnesses will be absent. Currently only two witnesses are set to stand trial which is the Investigating Officer and the police officer since the month of November 2022. He has not been convicted guilty and has not been granted bail in the years he has been in prison. I would like to know what further steps can we take going forward because the case does not seem to be going anywhere at all and if it is possible to take it further to the high court if so how?

We are on a 3rd lawyer right now and the current one also seems to be losing momentum.

your response will be highly appreciated.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.