I have been devorced in 2008 and the pro...

Asked by Donovan Isaac Seaward on 16-02-2024 10:20:37
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Eastern Cape

I have been devorced in 2008 and the property we owned was given to ex-wife in settlement. She neglected to pay rates and taxes on the property and municipality debited it in my name. Since then I am battling to have this debts transferred to her instead the municipality split the debts in half and expect me to pay it. Proof of devorce decree and settlement have been forwarded to them on numerous occations however she passed away and now I am stuffed with the bill. What are my options? Does these debts also not prescribe and how long do they have to initiate a claim through court? I've asked them to initiate court procedures because I do not acknowledge these debts.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.