Good Day My name is Kgothatso from Johan...

Asked by Anonymous on 12-06-2020 15:07:20
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00

Good Day 

My name is Kgothatso from Johannesburg. I have an issue with my son's After Care school. In January 2020 we paid the after care fees in advance for 12 months for the 2020 period. The After Care school is separate to the school and only offers After Care services after school. It is a privately owned company. In May 2020 they decided to shut down the school and sent us emails stating that have used all the parent's capital to pay for their debts. We asked for a refund for the remaining months of 2020 since we paid in advance for their service and they then asked a lawyer to draft a letter stating that they are in liquidation and won't be able to pay us in June 2020. 

We understand that the COVID-19 pendamic has affected a lot of people and businesses, however we made a payment in advance and if they are deciding to shut down their business they need to pay back our funds for the rest of the period so we can be able to use the funds for another after care school for our child. 

Please kinldy advise if we can have a case against them.



If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.