Dear SirMadamI enrolled my daughter who ...

Asked by Patrick on 19-05-2024 19:01:09
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Dear Sir/Madam

I enrolled my daughter (who was a student at the time) into MTI. I also funded her MTI account.

At some point there were some negative publicity emerging about MTI and the FSCA cautioning people about MTI. I decided to withdraw some of the bitcoin. This happened on separate occasions. The total withdrawals amounted to 0.162902 BTC.

Despite these withdrawals, I deposited a total of 0.848429 BTC into the account. After all is said and done, I am at a loss of 0.685527 BTC when MTI closed down.

The liquidators have now summonsed my daugther to pay back the 0.162902 BTC withdrawn at today's BTC price (more than R200000).

I do not see why she is demanded to pay money into the estate of MTI when, in fact, we are creditors (net losers). How should I approach them to prevent them from obtaining a default judgement against her? She only started working this year and is stressed out of her mind about this.

I await your most expeditious response in this urgent matter.


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.