Saw that the house is sold on the 12th A...

Asked by Virgil Lang on 27-05-2024 13:39:32
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Saw that the house is sold on the 12th April and absolutely nothing was mentioned to us. Something like that you definitely have to communicate with your rental person so that they can make immediate provision. 

Before the Landlord advised she wants to make the rental a month to month basis I asked her to draw up a 6 month lease, which she always does and at the time she gave me stories of its a waste of paper, not long after that I saw the house was for sale.

I wanted to move out in late last year but then the landlord said it's 2 months notice and at the time the flat I wanted to rent was an immediate rental.

She wants to increase the rent but the maintenance issues I've mentioned to her is still not fixed. When I wanted to move out she said that it's two months notice and not one months notice and I lost out on the apartment that I would've rented at the time. 

I don't know what to do because now she wants to evict us with one months notice which is unfair. I really need your help please. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.