Good afternoon from an ex South African ...

Asked by Anonymous on 03-05-2019 15:15:15
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Good afternoon from an ex-South African now in Portugal.

Being so far from SA it is difficult to find answers to my questions, so I am trying here.

Question 1:

In 1989 my father committed suicide. My brother and I were in Holland at the time and my sister in SA never informed of his death. We later learnt that she had managed to get his life insurance paid out plus she took all his assets. I asked her about it and she refused to explain or show me a testament. Is there any way I can still find out the details after 30 years???

Question 2:

My brother too committed suicide in Holland in Feb 2017 and left his estate to be divided between my sister and myself. He had bank accounts in SA and some years previous, while still alive, my sister, who had signing power, stole all  his money. She did however redeposit it when my brother found out. Now however the executor notary in Holland is struggling to obtain information from the SA banks. My sister tells them that my brother is still registered as alive in SA. I apologise, but I am suspicious that she again emptied his bank accounts after she learnt of his death and is now trying to hide it by creating fake hurdles.. Can you give me some direction on this please.

Question 3: 

Can I employ a lawyer in SA from Portugal and what more or less can I expect to pay for a consultation(s).

Thanks so much

Amelia Hoogkamer


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.