Looking for Legal AdviceI am a Digital f...

Asked by Chelsea on 13-04-2020 14:48:56
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

*Looking for Legal Advice*

I am a Digital freelancer in SA looking for legal advice from someone who works with Freelancers specifically. 

I have a client who I have been working for since November 2019. We dont have a formal signed contract but I do have proof of work. The said client is owing me a large sum of money and is now avoiding my communication attempts. Where do I go from here and what are my rights considering I dont have a contract? I have sent the client a demand of payment and havent heard anything back. (Apparently they have 14 days to respond before i can take it further)

Many thanks!

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 14-04-2020 18:42:11

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You do not need a written or signed piece of paper in order to "have a contract". A contract could be oral in nature. This is what I think that you have, an oral agreement. 

This means that there is nothing stopping you from demanding payment in accordance with your agreement, or even suing them for the money!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.