I recieved a fine during the the first 3...

Asked by kylek on 13-07-2020 09:52:43
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I recieved a fine during the the first 3 weeks of lockdown (section 56 notice, charge: Reg 11 B(1)(a)(i) ) for failing to be confined to my residence, even though i was only out to get groceries.

what I would like to know is if paying this fine will land me with a criminal record or not? and should I go to the magistrates court to try and speak to the public prosecutor?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-07-2020 11:37:47

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

In terms of the regulations, you are (and you were at that point in time) allowed to leave your residence in order to buy essential products, such as groceries and food. It therefore appears that you have been incorrectly charged and incorrectly received the fine.

You should therefore challenge the fine as having been incorrectly issued. 

If you pay the fine it will constitute an admission of guilt fine and you will technically have a criminal record, even though your criminal record will read "failure to comply with Reg 11 B(1)(a)(i)", and not "murder". If you wanted to apply for a Visa in the future, you would need to explain this away. 

Retired state advocate Johan du Toit said that “every admission of guilt fine is a previous conviction”.

So, it is best to fight it. 

You can't go to the magistrates court before the date that your case actually appears in court. In my view, you should therefore wait until you receive a court date, and then go to court on that date, and speak to the prosecutor about cancelling the fine. 

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 14-07-2020 09:01:09

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.