Good Day I wanted to know how to deal wi...

Asked by Moody on 28-07-2020 07:24:35
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day 

I wanted to know how to deal with such my friend hasbeen taking loan from private guy for almost 2 yrs and have been paying with interest of 50% Loan shark. During covid 19 he nw says guy put up to 70% interest monthly and he failing to pay no paper work nothing now person has gone around say he been scammed and making like it a criminal case could you help by advising legally what best way forward.


Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 31-07-2020 22:34:45

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It sounds like this loan shark is not a registered credit provider, which means that he is not allowed loaning money like that and charging interest. 

Your friend should tell the loan shark that what he is doing is illegal, and that he will not pay anymore, and that the loan shark can go to court to sue him if he wants. 

Your friend will defend the claim on the basis that the loan is illegal and unlawful and is therefore void.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.