Good morning. Hope you are doing well. I...

Asked by Rea on 27-08-2020 08:31:13
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

Good morning. Hope you are doing well. I urgently need your assistance please. Myself and my husband have been renting a property for 1.5 years now. I've decided to seperate from him. We've been renting through a rental agency - and I gave them notice beginning of August to move out which they accepted. The owner (landlord) emailed me to thank me for being a great tenant etc, and they wanted to come view the property due to some water damage and maintenance that needs to be done. They asked me my reason for wanting to leave, and I explained my situation to them, and they suggested that I stay on the property while they're doing the maintenance - we agreed on a lower rental amount - due to the inconvenience. Now they have previously asked the rental agency to end their contract with them (a few monts back already) - because they have been experiencing issues with the agency. Now I have recently signed a new lease agreement with the owner and not the rental agency. The rental agency just emailed me saying that I am their tenant and for whatever duration I stay on the property they will keep my deposit and not do the outgoing inspection. Can they do this? And am I not allowed to sign a lease agreement directly with the owner that no longer wants to do business with them? Thank you

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 28-08-2020 16:16:08

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Q: Can they do this? --> No. They need to return the deposit to you or the landlord to hold.

Q: And am I not allowed to sign a lease agreement directly with the owner that no longer wants to do business with them? --> Yes, you can. However the rental agency might then claim money from the owner because they "found you" as a tenant.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.