Hi thereThe Managing Director of my curr...

Asked by ReneeBC on 02-10-2020 09:23:07
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi there

The Managing Director of my current workplace phoned me on 30 September to suggest that I take early retirement (I'm 57). During the conversation, she said that they would pay me 2 weeks per every year that I worked there. (8 years) I asked her to put it in writing and in her email, she stated that they would pay me 1 week for every year, plus 1 month's notice period and 23 days leave pay.

Before it becomes a 'he said' 'she said' situation, what are my legal rights? 1 week or 2 weeks for every year?

I look forward to hearing from you

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-10-2020 09:39:58

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

What the director is suggesting in her email (1 week per year) is what you would be entitled to if you were retrenched. So basically, they are suggesting that you voluntarily agree to be retrenched. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.