The parents of a minor child is separted...

Asked by Tanya on 05-04-2023 16:38:51
Question posted in the Immigration Law category relating to North West

The parents of a minor child is separted. One married and seeks to emmigrate with the minor child. If the other parents signs for child's passport, does that mean he gives consent? Or is written consent the deciding factor?

Can the staying parent request written plans to ensure an ongoing relationship before consent, if emmigration takes place? 

Should the other parent & child come to visit SA, can the staying parent insist that the child stays with him the during of their visit back to SA?

Will the staying parent be able to still practice his parental rights if they emigrate? Meaning, does he still have a say in the upbringing of the child if they live in a diffrent country?

If the case goes to the high court if the staying parent does not give consent, who will be responsible for the expenses?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.