I have a 16 year old son in high school ...

Asked by Klinton on 09-11-2020 13:26:22
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Gauteng

I have a 16 year old son in high school me and the mother has been divorced for 10 years when his mother put him in this high school 2018 i did not agree with this school as it is one of the most expencive ones , now Oct 2020 i received a letter from CEEBEE that they are handing me over for school fees I called them and said I never agreed to pay half of the school fees never signed a paper or anything and before the hand over i have never heard of any school fees not from the school or the mother in two years now all of a sudden i am handed over for this. When I called the CEEBEE company they said its south african law that the other parent pay half even if he didnt consent to the debt , by law i must pay I dont have this kind of money as it is the fees for 2018 and 2019 and now they will hand over 2020 aswell ? Is this by law right and how come i never received any communication as to this fees from 2018 from the school or this debt place ?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.