HiBackground:I visited a residential sec...

Asked by ChristopherJ on 07-02-2021 16:42:22
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape



I visited a residential security complex which requires a code to enter, this code is sent by the person being visited:

"You're invited to visit De Zicht, use PIN #612588 at the visitor keypad. PIN is valid from 2/7/2021 2:47 PM until 2/8/2021 2:47 PM, UNSHADED visitor bays only. Please enter on the RIGHT-HAND SIDE LANE ONLY!"

The same code is required when leaving the complex, however the message makes no mention of this. If you are not able to produce this code at time of exit you are not allowed to leave e.g. in instances where you may have entered with a resident or simply deleted the message.

My question:

Is this an infringement on my right to freedom of movement? If the security guards have no reason other than a lack of this code (no suspicion of wrondoing etc), can they legally prevent people from leaving by refusing to open the gate?


Christopher Jacobs

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 07-02-2021 20:19:00

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practising attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

In my opinion, this is a completely unacceptable limitation/infringement on your constitutional rights of the freedom of movement. 

I can completely understand needing an access code to gain access to private property, but nobody is allowed to refuse you the right to leave the property. 

I would have kicked up a huge fuss at the gate, blocking the gate, and calling the SAPS to come and assist.

If they think that you were up to no good, then they need to call SAPS to come and arrest you and charge you with something. e.g. theft. 

But if they have no suspicion of wrongdoing, they can't just refuse to let you go.

This is an infringement of your constitutional rights!

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.