I am being charged with sexual assault, ...

Asked by VernonC on 08-02-2021 08:44:09
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

I am being charged with sexual assault, I do not recall the instance due to temporal lobe epilepsy and various other mental disorders. However I am willing to accept a guilty plea. I am physically and mentally disabled, will I be sentanced to general population? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-02-2021 21:40:21

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa. I see that you've asked a question but have not made any deposit for your question. I will try to assist you briefly with your question but please, if you would like more information, make a deposit and then we can continue the chat!

Yes, so you should probably consider a plea of not guilty based on incapacity grounds. i.e. you didn't have the mental capacity to commit the sexual assault. You will then be found not guilty however you will be sent for a mental evaluation.

Looking forward to assisting you further - if you would like. 

Good luck and best regards,


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.