Good day I need some legal advice. My ki...

Asked by Samantha on 23-03-2021 08:12:04
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day I need some legal advice. 

My kids were at a private school, however during covid I removed them while they were still at home because the school wasn’t really assisting and put them in home school. I emailed the school to let them know however because their school fees were billed annually they took me to attorneys who are threatening me with default judgement to pay the remaining of the fees. Should I just sign an AOD and pay monthly or fight it ? 

Thank you 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 23-03-2021 14:32:55

Hi there Samantha,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You are really going to need to look at the school's terms and conditions to get the answer. Typically such a document will record things like withdrawing your kids from the school, and whether 1 terms' notice is required, or how to go about it. As each school's policy could be different, I can't give you a straight answer. 

But you must distinguish between -

1) The school raising a fee every term, but you're just paying it off annually; and

2) The school raising the whole year's fee at once. 

In the first instance, I think that you must not give in and fight! In the second instance, you're going to have a tough time.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.