Hello, on 30th March 2021 I left my empl...

Asked by Julian on 16-04-2021 12:48:24
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Hello, on 30th March 2021 I left my employment of 13 years.. To start my own business.  A few of the customers from my previous employment have called me to ask them to do work for them. which I have. my former employer has found out and he is very cross and says I may not do work for his customers even if they find my number and call me. there is nothing in my contract about constraint of trade if I was to leave. My former employer has also threatened me and said he will make my family's life a misery. Can I please send you my former work contract so you can check it out? Can he verbally tell me what to do with out me agreeing to it?

kind regards

Julian Oosthuizen 

079 640 8641

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 17-04-2021 14:23:14

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you have signed a restraint of trade clause in your employment agreement, then your previous employer might have a point.

But if you didn't, then why should you listen to their demands?!? You don't need to ...

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.