Hi, my son age 14 needs his surname chan...

Asked by ruben on 28-04-2021 07:26:14
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi, my son age 14 needs his surname changed for the purpose of getting an ID. He is playing soccer for an academy and this is a requirement from them. I have not seen or heard of his father since his age of 11. Recently I tried finding the father for us to both go to home affairs to sign and get a password for him but had no luck as such. I got hold of his brother about 3 weeks ago but his brother last saw him in 2018. He is believed to be on drugs. I walked through some spots like fortsburg trying to find him but had no luck. I want to know what steps as a mom I can take to get my son a passport and also change his surname on his birth certificate. He is really looking forward to playing for this academy and I would not want to dissapoint him by not doing all I can do to get him a passport. 

Thanks a kind regards


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.