My boss employed a young lady to assist ...

Asked by Juanita on 17-05-2021 11:55:12
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

My boss employed a young lady to assist on a temp basis. It was later decided that she invoice the company for her hours worked every month. She has been doing this for app a year now and is demanding permanent position, an increase in payment with all benefits. There isnt a permanent position available in the company and we arent sure what our rights are. could someone possibly advise us the way forward. Thank you

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-05-2021 20:04:42

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It sounds to me as if she is actually a permanent employee in terms of labour law. 

Does she need to put in for leave? Does she report to your boss? Is she expected to arrive at work at a certain time every day, and leave at a certain time? Is she "supposed" to be at work every day? If she does something wrong, will she be disciplined by the work?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then she is most certainly a permanent employee in terms of labour law, even if she invoices the company.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.