Good dayWhat do I need to put a house de...

Asked by irenev on 22-07-2021 09:05:08
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day

What do I need to put a house deed in someone else name? My grandmother want to give her house to my uncle so we only need to change the name on the house deed, will a copy of the original house papers work or must it be the original papers? And what do we need and where do we go to start?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 23-07-2021 13:48:27

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You will need to draw up a Sale Agreement between your grandmother (as the seller) and your uncle (as the purchaser) in terms whereof he buys the house from your grandmother. 

Then, you will need to find a conveyancing attorney (who will give you a discount on the normal fees) who will actually transfer the property at the Deed's Office. 

You will need the ORIGINAL papers for the house, or you'll need to apply at the Deed's Office for a copy to be issued... but the conveyancer can assist with this.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.