Good day sir madamI want to know what le...

Asked by Glen on 06-09-2021 22:25:49
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day sir / madam

I want to know what legal route I can take to FORCE government to do away with the race classification criteria that you find on

all government forms. The government illegally still classifies people by race in the absence of the race classification law, the 

Population Registration Act of 1950.  Race has no scientifc nor cultural basis. The term "Coloured" should especially be scrapt because

because the term is derogatory and it suggests that putting two races together creates a third race, Coloured.

Should I file a motion application to declare the use of the race blocks as unconstitutional ? Or what should I do?



Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 07-09-2021 18:37:54

Hi there Glen,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

This issue has been dealt with before. The courts have held that in order to address the past, government is entitled to ask questions about race. As long as it serves a legitimate purpose, it is fine. 

So, you can't (for example) ask race as part of a private lease agreement... but you can for an application for a tender.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.