My daughter is in a process of a divorce...

Asked by AnitaH on 03-10-2021 08:26:40
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

My daughter is in a process of a divorce her husband phoned last night and was very rude to her father then her husband give the phone to his brother in law the brother in law said that he was the husband mediator and demanded for the husband to come and see there child today at 11am may daughter did not say that he cannot come and see the child she said that he can come see the child when her father is at home because her father has to go to work and is at home 4pm so the brother in law whom is acting as his mediator demanded to come see the child at 11am.

I whated to know can the brother in law act as a mediator and is he allowed to give demands and does the brother in law need to be appointed or have legal documents to prove that he is a mediator. 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-10-2021 16:00:32

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Anyone can be a mediator, if both of the parties agree. The mediator can't make any ruling, or demand. The mediator can only assist in the parties in coming to their own decision.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.