I have applied for a substitution of deb...

Asked by Pngidi on 04-11-2021 09:14:02
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

I have applied for a substitution of debtor at FNB as I am the sole ownership of the property according to the Divorce decree. The bond is currently a joint bond. My balance at the bond is +-R12k and I have 6 months left to paying it off. Now the bank told me the minimum I can apply for the substitution of debtor is R100k. I find this very strange as I am not applying for additional funds, all I want is to remove my ex and have the bond on my name only as per the decree. Also I am the one responsible for paying this bond ever since we bought the property 2002.

How is this possible.

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 05-11-2021 12:05:42

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

It does sound a little strange. Why not just leave the bond open for the next 6 months? And then cancel the bond once it is settled in full.

OR, why not take out a personal loan for R12k (for 6 months, or 8 months) and use that to settle the bond in full, then cancel the bond? Then you would just have a personal loan in your name.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.