Good dayI am married to a Zimbabwean Nat...

Asked by Refiloe on 05-11-2021 12:34:29
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day

I am married to a Zimbabwean National and we got married in South Africa, although at the time of the marriage, he was staying in Zimbabwe. No ante-nuptial was signed in South Africa. This means that our marriage is out of community of property due to the lex domicilii matrimonii.

Is there a document that can be signed in South Africa to "ensure" that the marriage in indeed out of community of property? Will there be a need to go through the post-nuptial route? 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 11-11-2021 20:59:54

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Unfortunately no, there isn't a document which can be signed to confirm the regime of your marriage. I don't think that you need to go through the post-nuptial route because you are married "out of community of property".

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.