I have a flat on my property that I am r...

Asked by Adri on 30-11-2021 12:34:34
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Northern Cape

I have a flat on my property that I am renting out. The person that moved in December last year has defaulted numerous times on his rental payments. I have given him a written notification that he must vacate my premises in June as he does not keep to the rental agreement regarding rent. He signed that document and said I can not kick him out as he may not be homeless.  I have voice recordings and whatsapp messages where he promises to move out at the end of each month since August and have not done that. He then pays my rents in drips and drags sometime I only receive my rent at the end of the month instead of the beginning. I have given him notice beginning of October that he must leave my property by the end of November as it is enough time for him to get another place to rent. I phoned him this past weekend to remind him that it is the 30th on Tuesday and that he must vacate my property.  He is not planning to vacate my property as he hasn't found another place to stay yet.  What can I do? Thanks Adri Fourie

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.