Good dayI bought my mothers house.I paye...

Asked by Anonymous on 12-01-2022 17:33:35
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

I bought my mothers house.I payed the money to the attorneys.The amount was R150 000.00.I payed for the transaction as it was justvover R11 000.00.

They payed the money into their account,than we realized it was only R126 770.00,but should have been R150 000.00.

We ask where the rest of the money.They said that my mother had 2 previous files.

Nevertheless,they never discussed it with here,never send her a letter of demand or any kind of proof that she owes them.

I payed for a previous case of my mother,but it were handled of.we dont know of any files.

If she owed them,can they deduct money with out my mothers concent?Can they do any such?As the money were just enough to build her a small house.

Please help thank you.

Kind regards

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-01-2022 10:47:21

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

If you paid YOUR money into their trust account, it is YOUR money. They can't touch it, and they can't use it to settle your mother's other 2 files. 

But, once transfer of the property has gone through, and once the money in their trust account "moves" from your file to your mother's file, THEN they could use some of it to settle your mother's other 2 files. 

So, in short, they can do that, but only AFTER transfer of the property has gone through. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.