HiA time ago my friend landed in hard ti...

Asked by Frits on 16-01-2022 16:57:20
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape


A time ago my friend landed in hard times, and i offered her board and lodging in my private house. We do not have a written agreement, but she pays me R2000 a month and in return she uses one of our bedrooms, bathroom facilities and i provide her with meals.

My husband has fellen ill with a brain tumer, and i would like my friend to vacate her room by the end of February 2022. I asked her politely, but she flatly refuses to leave as she has no where to go.

I have now given her a letter instructing her to leave by 28 February 2022. If she still refuses to leave, what stands me to do

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-01-2022 10:18:16

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

So, what you are saying is that you have an verbal lease agreement with her for the room.

What you need to do is to give her written notice to terminate the verbal lease agreement. You would need to give her at least a months' notice. So if you give her written notice now, she would need to move out by the end of Feb 2022. If she doesn't move out, then you would need to evict her through the Magistrates Court.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.