My son bought a BMW from a dealership, f...

Asked by Anonomous on 25-03-2022 13:55:26
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

My son bought a BMW from a dealership, firstly we found out the car was advertised with a full franchise service history which wasnt true.  Upon arriving at home after collecting the vehicle which apparently just came back from an oil service, the dealership phoned my son to say he must keep an eye as they found oil on their showroom floor.  BMW has a on board option to check oil levels, when he tried to check this function wasnt working.  He phoned the dealer who said he can drive the car there must be oil in.  50 km later he broke down, waited in the road till 1h00 in the morning to be towed, as the so called warrenty on the car expired in December already.

He told the dealership to cancel the deal, as the car now has numerous errors and the engine is locked.  Seems they are trying to pin this on my son now and is dragging their feet to cancel.  My son phoned BMW and spoke to a mechanic there and also two other mechanics, who confirmed that the damage on the car is due to no oil/low oil levels in the car and definitely not drivers abuse.  What can we do now, as we arent getting any joy at this stage

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.