renting an Rdp house from the...

Asked by Blanche on 30-03-2022 12:34:59
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape renting an Rdp house from the Landlord. My contract ended end of February 2022.which the Landlord states in her contract that she give us 3 months to move after contract ends. 3weeks back she came to us to tell us she is selling her house. And if the sale is thru we need to move within 14 days. Monday the 28th of March 2022 she send us an whatsapp that the house is sold and we need to be out 1st of April 2022 as the new owner wants to move in the 2nd.we have no place to move to and have send her a message to ask her what happen to the agreement we had and she did not reply. Please help as me and my husband have 3 children and dont want any violence or force to happen if the new owners do arrive on saturday.

My name is Blanche Terblanche.

Ps. Its an Rdp house which is also an ilegal sale happening as the house is not even standing for 8 years yet. She dont have the deed of sale

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-04-2022 23:13:23

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

If the "new owner" arrives and tries to kick you out, you must go to the SAPS and lay a complaint against the people, saying that they have no rights to kick you out because they are not the registered owner of the property! The SAPS must come to assist and arrest the people for intimidation, assault, or trespassing. 

Only the registered owner can kick you out, and only through the court's eviction application. 

Nobody is allowed to take the law into their own hands to kick you out. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.