I would like to enquire about the legali...

Asked by Kayla on 10-01-2024 11:54:15
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I would like to enquire about the legality of a Power of Attorney signed by a principal in New Zealand to grant authority to an Agent in South Africa.My cousin, who is a South African resident currently residing in New Zealand, wants to grant Power of Attorney to me to sort out some things on his behalf. I am a South African reisdent residing in South Africa. What steps should be followed? Will a Power of Attorney drafted by me on a downloaded template and signed by my cousin be regarded as legal and effective, or are there other requirements to ensure legality and effectiveness of such Power of Attorney? For example, is it a requirement that the Power of Attorney be created by a legal company in New Zealand? Should the Power of Attorney be signed at the South African Embassy in New Zealand?In short, are there any specific requirements regarding a South African residing in New Zealand wanting to grant Power of Attorney to a South African residing in South Africa?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.