Good Day. My name is Sifiso Nzimande. I ...

Asked by Sifiso Nzimande on 23-01-2024 13:15:44
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day.  My name is Sifiso Nzimande.  I have been renting a property for about seven years.  I was a diligent payer and didnt miss a payment a single month until I lost my job in 2021.  Even then I paid whatever I could.  I then got a new job even though it pays half of what I used to earn.  I continued to pay the full rent from March 2023 todate.  I accumulated a debt of about R140K during my two years of unemployment.  My monthly rental is R15k. I have committed to paying the deficit as soon as I can earn more money.  The Landlord now wants me to vacate the property so that he can sell the property claiming that the R140K has negatively impacted his financial situation.  I have asked that he gives me an opportunity to pay the outstanding amount by the end of the year.  I have a child completing matric this year and I would like him to finish and I will then gladly vacate the property.  He has given me a verbal ultimatum to vacate by 31st Jan 2024 with an allowance of a couple of days beyond that date.  I need to negotiate some time before I vacate the property.  

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.