Hi, I have entered a lease agreement for...

Asked by William on 18-04-2024 11:33:19
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape


I have entered a lease agreement form with the landlord (via agents) but now there are a lot of clashes (3 months in staying here) ... the main issue is that the landlord complain about my girlfriend spending a lot of time here (sleep) whilst this is the unit for only one person. We then had a meeting and I told the landlord that I stated way before signing the lease that my gf will spend a lot of time here and sleepover and the agents agreed ... the landlord says he wouldn't have agreed to that because he wanted one person for a specific reason (he cannot be fully comfortable with a lady here) . I now want to move out and I have made the agents aware but they argue that I serve a 2 months notice and it will only start next month since this is after mid month ... I cannot stay here any longer - I can do a 20 days notice but not 2 months ... is the landlord allowed to take all my deposit ? (That's 2 months's rental amount) ... sure I can do penalty fees but 2 months (and only starting to count next month, i.e 16 days from now) ... what is your advice.


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.