Good day,My wife informed me that she wa...

Asked by Thysdp on 22-06-2020 13:18:04
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00

Good day,

My wife informed me that she wants a divorce on 22 March 2020.

On 30 April 2020 she left for the weekend to stay with her ex-husband. When she got back after the weekend she informed me that is going to move in with him and that she will be starting a homeschooling tutor centre at the new residence.

We have 2 children, a girl, aged 11, and a boy, aged 10. I have no objection to provide reasonable financial support to her for them, when they are staying with her. The current arrangement is that we alternate weeks for them to stay with us.

I pay a monthly fee (which she decided upon) for them to attend the homeschooling tutor centre, as she was homeschooling them before moving out. I also help out with buying groceries as well a refueling her vehicle as needed.

I would like to know what is my financial oblegations towards her. I am currently transfering an amount of R4 400 to her monthly. This she used before her moving out, to pay life insurance, retirement annuitity, her vehicle insurance as well as various odds and ends.

I have a lot of debt,(credit card, overdraft and revolving loan), that I incurred over the years. This I realize was my own doing, as I didn't set boundaries on our spending. We are married out of community of property, with accruement.

I receive a good salary, but due to the debt I struggle to make ends meet. I am also looking for an affordable lawyer/attorney for the divorce process. We decided that we will attempt to make the divorce as amicable possible and negotiate stuff as things go along. I am still hoping for it to be done that way, but she is making demands that I find unreasonable and believe that it would be better to formalize the divorce and have a set of rules/ agreements to govern our financial issues.

I am reciding in Cullinan, Gauteng. I work at the CSIR in the East of Tshwane. I am looking for an lawyer/attorney in the area.

Kind regards

Thys du Plooy

082 859 1124


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.