My father built outside rooms at his fam...

Asked by NosiK on 14-07-2020 00:05:09
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

My father built outside rooms at his family home in the 2008. During that time only his elder brother lived in the main house and the outside rooms my father rented them out for extra income. His brother and him signed a mutual agreement that basically said that the outside rooms are my father's and he built them in his own capacity and that he has full ownership of them and my uncle acknowledged that. My father and his elder brother and their late sister were the only ones appearing in the house permit.

Now my uncle passed away and sadly my father too. Suddenly my other aunt is back living in the family house and claims the house and rooms are hers. It should be noted that she did not appear on the house permit and never lived there until a year ago.

Can we use the mutual agreement my father and his brother signed to show that the outside rooms are my father's and not part of the family house 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-07-2020 21:45:24

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Well, it really does depend on what the title deed of the property says, and who the registered owner of the house is!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.