How can I go to trial in high court with...

Asked by Natalie on 13-08-2020 10:10:57
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

How can I go to trial in high court without a attorney or advocate, trial is set for 13 and 15 September 2020 i have asked for contribution towards cost, but nobody answers me? This is a 8 year divorce and I have tried everything to get any information about trial and trial was apparently set down in 2015 and 20 November 2018 and now september 2020? I have never signed the settlement agreement nor did we go for mediation as I have requested that before in front of Judhe Khumalo but I was refused?

So at high court last week I was basically told I cant enforce my rights as i dont have money? Can't understand why husband (defendant) can have private attorney and not me?

Kind regards


Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-08-2020 11:12:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You could ask for a contribution towards your legal costs using a Rule 43 Application.

You might need to postpone the trial if you are not ready. 

Why don't you hire your own attorney?

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.