Hi,I own a flat and have a tenant rentin...

Asked by Cup-A-CakeE on 04-11-2020 12:49:21
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape


I own a flat and have a tenant renting it from me. 

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, I also ran into financial issues and my tenant also could not pay rent.I did not want to chase my tenant as she has been renting from me for five years and like everyone covid hit us.  Making me not pay the monthly levies. This was communicated to the board and we agreed on to try and pay the monthly levy with a monthly review to pay the outstanding amounts. 

August - paid the levies, R2000 and was R150,00 short - no disaaproval was expressed by the board.

September - paid the levies, R2000, again R150,00 short - no disaaproval was expressed board.

October - managed to pay R5000 - because I was back at work and my tenant also started paying me again. 

Yesterday , I received a letter from the attorneys to pay the full oustanding amount and lawyer fees. The R5000 is not even reflected on that statement and Im being charged interest for the outstanding amounts.

Also, the board never communicated with me monthly as per our agreement. She never expressed her disappointment in amounts being paid, nothing. She just went straight to the lawyers. 

I have been paying what I can since our agreement. And the board never communicated any disapproval. I will pay the account, it's not that I will run away from my responsibilites. What gets to me is that the board didn't stick to the monthly review or even express their disapproval of my payments that I could make. 

Do I have any legal standing in this matter? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.