MorningI was with my ex for 14 years and...

Asked by DanielleW on 22-02-2021 11:07:21
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng


I was with my ex for 14 years and we had 2 children together. We were never married, the children are under my surname and we seperated about 18 months ago.

The situaution was physically abusive towards me, but unfortunatley I dropped all charges over the years. He has been living in CPT but is movingback to JHB this week.

Do I automatically have full custody over the children as we were never married etc and do I have control over as to them talking to him/ visitation etc? He is extremely volitile and I do want him having free reign with them to take them when he pleases or talk to them as he pleases. The children are 15 and 10.

Thank you

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 23-02-2021 11:13:25

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I think that it is clear that you are the children's primary care giver. You need to do what you feel is in the kid's best interests, especially with visitations. However you need to be aware that legally he is entitled to access to the kids. If you can't agree on the access rights, he will need to go to the Maintenance Court for an order.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.