Hi, My lawyer managed to get a default j...

Asked by Help with Attorney on 12-07-2021 12:16:07
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng


My lawyer managed to get a default judgement against a fraudulent builder on my behalf for R181k.  "The story was on Carte Blanche recently".   The builder has recently got himself a lawyer and had applied to have the judgement rescinded which we were going to defend. Then his attorney asked if he could settle the matter and the application was removed from the role whilst settlement discussions began.  For a few weeks now there has been not a word from the builder's attorney on any settlement and in the meantime I have paid my attorney over R100k and have run out of funds.  I am wanting to take the case further myself and am asking if I do so would you be able to assist me with any queries I might have?  I am basically wanting to have the settlement discussion either continue or I want the builder's attorney to have the matter put back on the role for court and I would then like to submit my defense against his application.  The matter was enrolled in the Meyteron Court and I have a correspondent attorney there who would be willing to attend court on my behalf.  

Kind regards,


Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 14-07-2021 09:34:04

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Has it cost you R100,000 to get a default judgment, and then some settlement discussions? Really? That's probably about 10 times what I would have charged ... especially if the summons was not defended and you took a default judgment? 

I would suggest that you don't run the case yourself, because at the moment you have a default judgment. If they succeed in the rescission application, you'll be back at stage 1. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.