I live in a flat sectional title and rec...

Asked by Anonymous on 23-07-2021 14:37:07
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

I live in a flat (sectional title) and received a levies statement with interest for the first time last month. I normally pay my levies within 30 days of receipt of the statement, however, due to unemployment at this stage, I may have had a few payments in the last few months that were paid later than 30 days. I have lived in the complex for 6 years and I am sure made some payments late before, but have never been charged interest before.  Are body corporates allowed to charge interest on levies? Do they have to notify you that interest will be charged? And after what period can they start charging interest if payments are deemed late, when no definition of late payment is provided e.g. 30 days or by x date?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.