My daughter`s father whom I did not get ...

Asked by Andrew on 28-03-2021 19:32:10
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Eastern Cape

My daughter`s father whom I did not get married to (his choice), has decided to show-up unannounced for the first time in two years. He last showed up to enquire about her expenses in my absence while i was pursuing an increase in maintenance case against him.

Needless to say, the matter was moved from the existing family court to another court where the file went missing twice. The order granted six years ago had an escalation clause attached to it, however due to the judge not writing it on the order, the child`s father used this to overturn that part of the order and set me back financially. He now pays the amount ordered at the time (2015).

As I am unemployed, i am told that I cannot contest the payment made. The current judge has ruled in his favour. In addition to this, he showed-up at my sister`s house uninvited (thinking I am at work) and wanted to see my child. She was in a state of shock and locked herself in the bedroom, not wanting to meet with him. He is now texting her.

What rights do I have in this matter as it it affecting my child`s emotional state?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.