good day all in jan 2022 i moved into a ...

Asked by mari-lize on 31-05-2022 14:41:22
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

good day all 

in jan 2022 i moved into a property  that cost R2500.00 they knew we as a gfamily were struggeling financially.

we paid for feb when we moved in they never gave me a lease aggreement and end of march i didnt have the finances to pay the rent i wanted to move they said no dont stress we can pay it when we have it then end of april i paid full rent for may and then some now my husband has found a job far away and the landlord wants to keep my belongings to cover that R2500.00 still owed  i mean its my kids stuff and the bvare minimum i have what are my rights as an tenant 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-06-2022 20:49:24

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

The landlord can't simply keep your belongings if you don't pay the rental. The landlord can get the sheriff to attach the belongings, but the landlord can't do that himself or remove the belongings himself. If you want to take the stuff out of the house, then you can do that. The landlord can't stop you.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.