Good dayWe would like to seek advise on ...

Asked by Anastasia and Craig on 20-12-2023 19:08:27
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

We would like to seek advise on a matter whereby the estate agent is threatening us with judgements if we do not sign a AOD letter. They have added late payment penalties onto each month, charged for the month we were not in the property after we moved and withheld the deposit.

We have been open and discussed our financial difficulties which has led to us not being able to pay rental or the council bill for a few months which the home owner has agreed to keep us on until we were able to move. We took out a loan to buy us a structure to put up in the backyard of friends, which is an additional monthly cost. 

That said, we considered all options and gave an affordable amount to pay off our debts to the home owner whist servicing the additional for us to move, which they did not accept. They are threatening us to sign an AOD way beyond our means.

Please help!

Craig & Anastasia Fairbairn 

071 921 6910 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.