Good Day,I have an issue and I'm hoping ...

Asked by Loretta on 21-04-2020 17:21:41
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day,

I have an issue and I'm hoping you can assist me.

My business is events and exhibitions and since the lockdown we haven't recieved any income. We then started selling masks to make up the funds to pay our bills. We are currently waiting for commissions to be paid to us.

I'm an currently renting, my rental amount is R11300 I have paid my landlord R7000 already and asked if he could please waiting for the balance of the payment until we get paid out our commission.

Our electricity is prepaid and via a company called STSS. My landlord has contacted this company and asked them to put a block on the account so we cannot purchase electricity. In return without electricity we cannot work.

Can he do this to us during the lockdown/covid-19?



Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 22-04-2020 10:57:17

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

No, your landlord can't do that. What he has done, is to interfere with the use and enjoyment of your leased premises without a court order. This is not allowed. 

What you need to do is to urgently go to the magistrates court and apply for a spoliation order. You'll need the help of a lawyer, and you'll need to convince the court that this is urgent. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.